Wednesday 6 July 2016

Review: The Dark #1 Boo Hag

Writer/Artist: Kelly Williams
Publisher: Alterna Comics
Release date: 22nd June 2016

It's been a while since I've written a review, life has been rather hectic and I've really struggled to juggle everything around. It's a shame as writing reviews is a cathartic experience that I enjoy. I've read 'The Dark' several times since its release and it really is a fantastic comic.
I've been a fan of Kelly Williams since I was directed his way by Peter Simeti on twitter. His artwork is detailed, atmospheric and jaw dropping. Such is the depth of my admiration for his work that I've actually written comic scripts with his work in mind, adjusting panels and mood in order suit how I think his art process works. It's a little sad I know own but it's made me a better script writer.
Anyway, coming back to the tangent. Williams is a despicable genius who has written and drawn this standout comic. His take on certain myths about Witches, Boo Hag is a tense tale about Steve Rankin, a writer in search of truth behind legends, and finding something altogether more horrifying.

I know Williams firstly as an artist, from flicking through Twitter and seeing the gorgeous artwork that he posts sporadically. So the fact that he is a stellar writer is a pleasant surprise. For a story that consists mainly of dialogue between two men, the writing is wonderful work.  Conversation is a tricky thing to do well, as is giving each character a voice, but Williams does both with style. The story flows well and the dialogue helps to accentuate the tensions that Williams' art projects off the page.
The artwork is a master class in storytelling. It positively drips atmosphere,  each panel is lushly detailed and feels almost alive. The pages are deliberately inked and each line made aids in bringing the panels to life. At times I forgot I was reading a comic and looked up to discover that I wasn't in fact sat in a dark, haunting forest.

It's been around a while now, so the chances are you already have your paws on this excellent comic, but if you haven't then I can't recommend it highly enough, even if horror isn't your genre, this work is to be enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment